photo credit- LULA Magazine

Friday, May 21, 2010

Post on Post-Its

Relating to my last post, I came across this amazing youtube video on one of my best friend's blogs http://hotchildinanothercity.blogspot.com/ check her out. Anyways, she posted this video with the caption "I think I need to take a page out of Jessica's book," and I watched it and I agree.



Kids really know how to express themselves leagues better than adults do. Whether it's screaming, because they KNOW that it is more important to let it out despite what the neighbors think. Or, having positive self-affirmation time in the bathroom mirror even when the camera is rolling.

At college I used to write reminders to myself in lipstick on the long full-length mirror on the back of my door. I kept adding them until the whole thing was covered in red smudges. I don't remember what any of them were now, but they helped me out then. I'm also a big fan of post-its. I write post-its for everything. Some people keep post-its in their office desks for work reminders or in the kitchen junk drawer for small grocery lists. I do both, and I keep them at my bedside table, on my bookcase and by my dresser. Really I think this is just because I have a terrible memory, so I know that just as quickly as an important reminder will pop into my head, it will keep on truckin out my ear before making an impression on my brain. I know most people have upgraded to the electronic post-its on their laptops, or to iphone reminders, but that is all too much for me. I still use a paper planner and I will always love me some little sticky yellow squares.

I stopped the lipstick reminders when I downsized to a small wall mirror in my 'big girl apartment' post-college land, but the post-its work just as well. Actually, I'm probably better off because when people come over, they don't see blood red scrawled notes-to-self with embarrassing fortune cookie-like wisdom when they go to adjust their hair. No one expects you to be sane and have it all together in college but in the 'real-world,' I like to keep up the facade anyways.

The point is, as grown-ups we actually need to write this stuff down to remember it and that is the crazy part! The most IMPORTANT reminders wind up on the mirror because they need to stare you in the face to get through. The most simple and basic things like 'breath,' 'relax,' 'enjoy.' Not only do these wind up on mirrors and post-its but these are also becoming popular tattoos! We need to have these things inked on our wrists for the rest of our lives because otherwise we will forget, we will forget to breath, to relax and to enjoy. The real question is what are we remembering instead? Deadlines, appointments, grad school application requirements. Important things no doubt but if you forget to breathe you won't get around to any of this stuff so I ask you, what is really the most important to remember?

Kids are smarter, they don't know how to write but they don't NEED to because they got it down. I think if I started my day with a list of positive things about my life while dancing over the bathroom sink I'd be in great mental and emotional shape. While I may still be a measly 5' 2" I don't think my crappy bathroom sink could support me and I'd probably fall and crack my skull on the bathtub so I'll leave that to the kids and stick with my post-its.

No comments:

Post a Comment